I am the parent of a child who has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. No parent envisions hearing the words autism spectrum disorder when their child is born. I’ll never forget the moment when I first heard this phrase used to describe my child. Now, I imagine how I will explain these words to my son one day. I wonder how this disorder will impact him over the course of his life.
For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a mother. When I finally discovered I was pregnant; I was overjoyed. After an uneventful pregnancy, our son, Ben, was born. He was perfect. We were blessed. Ben was an exceptional baby. He wasn’t demanding and would amuse himself for hours.
Visual Schedule for Family
- Assists with communication difficulties
- Establishes sequential recognition
- Governs unstructured time
- Helps manage anxiety
- Reduces inappropriate behaviors
- Increases flexibility
Visual Schedule for Classroom
- Capitalizes on visual strengths
- Facilitates transitions between activities
- Promotes word recognition
- Aids literary acquisitions
- Builds memory skills
- Decreases student impulsivity